Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Today, we are all Hokies

The tragedies that transpired on the campus of Virginia Tech Monday morning are horrifying and my sincere condolences go out to the students, faculty, family and friends.

I found myself at home feeling under-the-weather Monday morning and I stumbled upon the news coverage quite by accident. Much like September 11th and the coverage of the “official” start of the Iraqi war, I found myself fixed on CNN. Today I spent the entire day continuing to watch the news coverage from a hospital waiting room while a member of Loren’s family underwent a heart procedure.

Given the heartbreaking events in Virginia and the unfamiliar environment I found myself in today, I’m feeling simultaneously low and aware of how petty so much of our daily lives are.

Under these circumstances my continuing coverage of the Sweetheart pageant will be a few days postponed. Further, I have to say that I am disappointed by the discourse of pageant fans on the anonymous Miss Ohio message board (which I have mentioned here before). Despite the Virginia Tech tragedies, the moderator had to be a babysitter, reminding posters to “play nice.” Unbelievable!

I have mentored and coached college students in a variety of ways for several years now. Might I remind everyone that most pageant women are students and EVERY student needs added support right now. I’ve been done with school for nearly a year and I am notably rattled; I can’t begin to imagine how it is affecting current students.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this post, Abby!Students do need the support! Also, there are many threats coming out of the woodwork right now and it makes us wonder which ones are serious. I know that Tiffany's school had a written bomb threat today. My gosh, Celina is a town of about 10k people and we are dealing with this too! I just cannot believe what is going on! On the news yesterday there were many threats that were reported across America...what has happened here? Do these people think they won't be caught and/or think they're funny? It is disgusting to say the least!
    ~Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Your contribution will be moderated before it appears on the blog.