Monday, February 4, 2008

Pageant Press: Wells shocked to be crowned Miss Maple City

Wells shocked to be crowned Miss Maple City
By Aaron Krause - Reflector Staff Writer

Baby, she's a star.

But Heather Wells' crowning Saturday as Miss Maple City 2008 isn't all about her.

The Warren resident, who danced to the song "Baby I'm a Star" during the talent phase of competition, plans to use her public image to encourage youngsters to become active and lead healthy lifestyles. The 18-year-old Youngstown State University student's platform is "Hey Kids! Don't Sit! Get Fit! Healthy Kids Become Fit Adults!"

Wells said many members of her family suffer from obesity a condition in which a person has too much body fat. Being obese increases the risk of diabetes, heart disease, stroke, arthritis and some cancers. Losing as little as 5 to 10 percent of total weight can delay or prevent some of these diseases, according to the National Institutes of Health Web-site.

...Wells said she doesn't feel added pressure to win Miss Ohio as Camp's successor. In fact, she feels she'll benefit from Camp mentoring her.

..."I'm going to definitely do my best and hopefully follow in the footsteps of Roberta," Wells said.

Wells said she was nervous as the judges were announcing the winners. She added she thought she put on a solid performance, but didn't think she'd come away as Miss Maple City.

She complimented her competition. "I thought everyone performed so well," she said. "Everyone was so amazing. I still don't believe that I actually won. I'm flabbergasted."

...While Saturday marked a new beginning, it also marked the time for Camp to step down."I don't see this as a farewell or good-bye whatsoever," she told the crowd. "I'm your Miss Ohio..."

...Camp complimented the staff of the Miss Maple City Scholarship Pageant. "I couldn't have asked for a better crew and a better group," she said. "They are my friends for a lifetime."

CLICK HERE for the complete article and a crowning picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Your contribution will be moderated before it appears on the blog.