Thursday, February 12, 2009

Breaking and Broken Pageant News

First, Miss Bay Village impressively has an article in the Cleveland Plain Dealer announcing the following contestants: Jen Ciccone, Sherry El Sakr, Krystle Formosa, Hollie Hongosh, Alicia Huyghe, Jackie Jerlecki, Ashley Miller, Maria Minnick and Emily Pheils. Click here for the complete article.

Next, nearly a month after Jeri Waite resigned the position of Miss Ohio's Executive Director an article was finally published about it. I didn't write anything about it either because it happened during Miss America week. The president of the board, Steven Oliveri, will temporarily take over the position. Many Miss Ohio fans feel he already has too much control as the president and state judges chair, so this will no doubt cause message board mayhem! Here's the Mansfield News Journal article:

Executive director of Miss Ohio program resigns
Lou Whitmire
February 7, 2009

MANSFIELD -- Jeri Waite, executive director of the Miss Ohio Scholarship Program, has resigned.

Steven Oliveri, president of the Miss Ohio Board of Trustees, said he will assume the director's responsibilities temporarily.

Waite said he resigned last month for personal reasons.

"This was no easy decision, and I will still be involved, just not to the point where Miss Ohio dictates my schedule. I will now be able to pick my spots," he said. "I started to consider this around Thanksgiving when our family got together and I looked at my (six) grandchildren and realized that I was missing out on watching them grow up because my Miss Ohio schedule always came first.

"I found myself, over the last four to five years, missing birthday parties, ball games and dance recitals because I was traveling to local programs, fundraisers, or Chamber of Commerce functions for Miss Ohio.

"Over the years, I have also cut back on a lot of things that I used to do for my church."

Waite, an avid golfer, said he has banked several weeks and plans to spend some time at his family's timeshare.

"Over the last few years, I've played more golf in the few weeks that I do take for myself outside of Ohio than I play in Ohio," Waite said.

Waite has been with the pageant for 23 years, 12 as a board of trustees member. He started working in security and over the years helped with the sound stage and stage crew and was an announcer. Waite also has been master of ceremonies, a featured performer and a judge at local programs.

Waite is the owner and president of JD Waco Inc., an entertainment management company formed in 1990. Before starting his own company, he was an applications engineer for Halliburton Corp.

Oliveri said the board will discuss the volunteer position at its meeting this month.

"Jeri's been a long-time volunteer and supported the program and we appreciated his commitment, and we look forward to his continued support of the program," Oliveri said. "We appreciate his many, many years of service."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Your contribution will be moderated before it appears on the blog.