Thursday, July 10, 2008

Attention Local E.D.s and Contestants - It's All About PR!

It is (obviously) my belief that quickly and accurately distributing information is one of the most important things you can do to develop and foster an organization.

I know there's never enough time in a day, but the right volunteer should be able to develop a relationship with local news outlets and get a story highlighting all the contestants prior to the pageant and then a follow-up introducing the winner to the community.

Contestants - when I was in your shoes I got several articles published on my own by sending press releases to my hometown media, college media and news sources for whatever community I was currently residing! Either help the PR person for your local, or do your own PR. How do you expect to get appearances and sponsorship if the community doesn't know who you are?

** If E.D.s would like website or PR help, contact Roger Sessor of the Miss Portsmouth/Scioto Valley program at rsessor@missportsmouth.org OR 740.876.9171. **

Also, CLICK HERE for "How to write a press release," HERE for "Press Release 101" and HERE for "Ten Tips..."

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting that! You know that's something that I've been preaching to the girls I know--to learn how to write their own press releases. While I agree with you that EDs should be forming these relationships with their local editors, I also believe it's a titleholders responsibility to learn it too, because too many times EDs are made to feel like personal assistants or secretaries, transcribing events for their titleholder. That's not fair either. If they're both proactive, it's a win-win situation for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I soooooo agree with Abby and M! I know when Bryon and I were trying to get Miss Highmark going, we were "big" on having good relations with the press as it is very important, especially when you are trying to introduce the program to a untouched area.
    ~N.W.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Your contribution will be moderated before it appears on the blog.