Sunday, March 8, 2009

Pageant Photos and Press: Miss Muskingum Valley



The Top 10

Amanda Summers












Krystle Formosa












Danielle Henry











Christina Hagan












Kaley Mitchell - Preliminary Gown winner and 2nd Runner-up










Megan Wombacker










Heather Wells - Preliminary Swimsuit winner and 1st Runner-up











Stephanie Rodgers - Preliminary Talent and Gown winner and Miss Muskingum Valley












Alicia Huyghe - Preliminary Talent winner and 3rd Runner-up











Bree Grosshandler - 4th Runner-up











The photos above came from THIS Zanesville Times-Recorder gallery by Matthew Leasure; there are more production photos that I did not include, but these were the only competition shots from last night.

Visiting Titleholders


Above: Heather Wells and Miss Fallen Timbers Outstanding Teen, Sarah Eash. Below left to right: Heather Wells, Miss Ohio Karissa Martin and Miss Lake Erie Jenna Wilson.


Pageant Press

Dresden's Stephanie Rodgers wins first Miss Muskingum Valley Crown Jennifer Manfrin

ZANESVILLE -- The pageantry and talent grew to an exciting climax Saturday evening as the first ever Miss Muskingum Valley was crowned on stage at Secrest
auditorium.

"I'm really excited and I want to thank Stina and Jeff for all they've done. I'd like to thank my parents and friends who supported me. I'm very happy," said Stephanie Rodgers of Dresden, Miss Muskingum Valley 2009.

As a first-year participant in pageants, Rodgers said that she was thrilled to be the winner and enjoyed her experience in the local preliminary. "I really think there wasn't a weak candidate," she said.
A graduate of Tri-Valley High School and The Ohio State University, Rodgers said she plans to use the $2,800 scholarship she won to continue her graduate courses in public administration. She said she is also happy to be an ambassador to the area, and is excited about going on to the Miss Ohio competition in Mansfield in June. "I'm looking forward to getting out there, and getting other girls involved. I think it's a great program."

...Fourth runner up Bree Grosshandler of Zanesville and a senior at Zanesville High School, said she was excited to place in the top five. "I'm shocked! I've never done this before. I was the youngest in the top 10." She added that she dedicated the pageant to her friends. "I did it for them."
Grosshandler received a $500 scholarship, which she plans to use toward a degree in design.

"I enjoyed working with the girls. They are all beautiful and talented," said second runner up Kaley Mitchell of Crooksville. Mitchell said that she plans to use her $1,000 scholarship towards a masters degree in teaching from Muskingum College. "I feel good. It was a life-changing experience," she added.


As first runner up, Heather Wells of Howland said she plans to use her $1,500 scholarship at Kent State, where she is pursuing a degree in broadcast journalism.
"I feel great. Now I can go pay for more of my schooling and buy some books," she said. She added that she enjoyed the experience, and wishes Rodgers success. "Stephanie is great and will be great at Miss Ohio."

Rodgers agreed that the
money is helpful for the winners in pursuing their educations, and encourages young women to participate. "I think anyone could do it if they put their mind to it."

"I'm really excited. I worked very hard and I'm glad my dedication paid off," said Alicia Huyghe of Uhrichsville. Huyghe placed third runner up and won a $700 scholarship, which she said she plans to use towards a degree in exercise science from Cleveland State University.


...Other awards given Saturday were the Spirit of Chloe Award to Kaley Mitchell, the Julie Marsh Community Essay Award to Megan Wombacker, the non-placing talent award to Jodi Van Dyke and the Ellen Spinner Interview Award to Megan Wombacker.

"I would like to thank all of the sponsors who make this possible. I would also like to acknowledge all of the contestants who have grown into confident young women," said Stina McKendry, executive director of the Miss Muskingum Valley Scholarship Program who is joined by her husband Jeff McKendry as the co-director.
She added that she is very pleased to bring the preliminary back to the area, and thrilled with the money it will create for continuing education. "I'm proud to be able to provide scholarships for these young women for their educations. That is number one in my eyes."

Congrats to everyone! This is obviously a great new program and hopefully some of the promising new contestants will continue to compete in the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Your contribution will be moderated before it appears on the blog.