Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Congrats to Prelim Night One Talent Winner, Karissa Martin and Swimsuit Winner, Andrea Adryscik!

They don't have competition photos up yet, but here's Lou Whitmire's Mansfield News Journal article:

MANSFIELD — Miss Greater Cleveland Andrea Andryscik and Miss Clayland Karissa Martin captured the first round of preliminaries Wednesday night during the 2008 Miss Ohio Scholarship Program at the Renaissance Theatre.

Martin, 18, of Woodsfield, won the talent award after singing “The Girl in 14G.” The second-year competitor won a $700 scholarship from Richland Bank.

The song, originally recorded by Kristin Chenoweth, fits Martin’s personality.

“It’s a lot of fun. I kind of fit the character. I’m a reader. I like to read and then I went to school and I had all the noise around me in my dorm room,” she said. “It’s just a song I connected with and I enjoy sharing with an audience.”

Also making her second trip, Andryscik, 24, of North Royalton, was the swimsuit winner. She won $450 after wearing a pink and white 2-piece suit.

“It feels amazing,” Andryscik said.

Andryscik, a Cleveland State grad, said she combines a philosophy of being mentally and physically fit.

“I do a yoga-pilates mix on my own and I also work with a personal trainer and eat a balanced diet,” she said. “My favorite food is a hot dog so every now and then I eat a hot dog.”

“The key is balance.”

Andryscik said she was concerned about descending the stairs in her heels.

“I told myself if I make it down the stairs and don’t fall, then it’s smooth sailing from there,” she said.

Both preliminary winners said they want to be Miss Ohio to give back to their communities.

Andryscik’s platform is suicide prevention. She hopes to travel to Australia to enroll in the suicidology master’s degree program.

Martin’s platform is skin cancer. Her career aspiration is to perform on Broadway. She’s also considering entering broadcast journalism and becoming a news anchor.

Wednesday night’s show celebrated all 26 contestants and was about Hollywood and films. This week’s theme is: “That’s Entertainment.”

Reigning Miss Ohio Roberta Camp’s little sister Faye Williams, 11, of Grove City, sang, “Somewhere Over the Rainbow,” while dressed as Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. Featured dance groups included the Defiance Dance Studio performing a fast-paced number to “Route 66.”

A crowd-pleaser was a dance number by David Dunn of Zanesville, who danced on stage to Gene Kelly’s “Singin’ in the Rain” with Gene dancing on a big screen behind him in the hit musical.

Contestants also danced in a hip hop number with Miss Ohio center stage.

Each night is different this year. Tonight is Vegas, Friday night is Broadway. And Saturday, for the telecast, Kunkel said officials will pick parts from each night and put them on the air.

Preliminary competition continues tonight and Friday with the new Miss Ohio crowned on Saturday night.

Tickets are available by calling 419-522-6677.

lwhitmire@nncogannett.com
419-521-7223


Again, congrats to the winners! If anyone would like to share quality competition photos, post pageant candids or commentary of the production and competition, please email me!!! abbybollenbacher@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Your contribution will be moderated before it appears on the blog.